~A Bitter Swallow~

I think I thought-vomited in my brain a little bit...

Thought-Vomit

My brain is constantly mumbling and muttering to itself. Sometimes it screams. Sometimes what it has to say is interesting enough to make note of, or is adamant enough that it must come out. I'll put that stuff here. :)
Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Karate Kid


My son had his first karate tournament this past Sunday. I think he was a bit nervous, but more excited. I was, too. It was long... but fun. Lots of kids. Lots of camaraderie. Lots of food. Lots of pictures, like this one that Dustin took.


My son took fourth place in his katas. He did them properly, but he was horribly nervous (I could tell), and he did them too fast. If he had slowed down, he very well could have taken it. But, nerves will do that to you, and now he knows. And hell, fourth place is pretty freakin' cool as far as I'm concerned!

Then came the sparring. He took first place! It was awesome. I thought I might start crying, and tried real hard not to. I succeeded, but barely. It did choke me up, and I'm glad I had water with me. He was completely jazzed. Can't you imagine?! His first tournament, and he got a first place. Awesomesauce.


There are a couple more coming up this summer. I'm hoping he decides to participate in them. To take this class a bit further, and start competing.. start pushing himself. He's so awesome when he does. He shines, and he knows it. I hope he keeps with it.
I am so very insanely proud. =)

1 comments:

kathryn said...

Oh, wow! I'd be proud too! That's wonderful that he overcame his nervousness and did so well that he even placed!

I know that karate is supposed to be great for self-discipline and a whole host of other things....

Kudos to your son!

Blog Archive