~A Bitter Swallow~

I think I thought-vomited in my brain a little bit...

Thought-Vomit

My brain is constantly mumbling and muttering to itself. Sometimes it screams. Sometimes what it has to say is interesting enough to make note of, or is adamant enough that it must come out. I'll put that stuff here. :)
Friday, February 1, 2008

tutors

So, I'm thinking it's time for me to seriously look into getting some tutors for my kids. While I am going to school (kind of) for early childhood education, right now it is focusing on opening a daycare, with a chance of later becoming a full-blown teaching degree. But that is still a few years away, and I am struggling with helping my own children now. And let's face it, while I will love and cherish the kids I care for, and strive to give them the best of an education that I can while they are in my care--- the most important ones to me are my own kids.

My son, while a whiz kid at math and science, has horrible struggles with reading and writing. I've tried to give support and encouragement, and strive to find ways to get him more excited about them. However, it doesn't seem to be quite enough. He still has little confidence (or, it seems, real care) about reading and writing.. even when he finds topics that thrill him. Perhaps with a little one-on-one tutoring with a professional, he will gain that confidence that may not push into full blown love of reading and writing, but at least make him comfortable with the idea of it.

My daughter, the little artist, abhores math. She just cannot seem to wrap her little mind around those complicated mathematical concepts, ie: 4 quarters = $1.00, or there are 60 seconds in a minute. Anything mathematically equated is archaic to her. I can't say I feel any different on them (although I can do money and time, but those shapes and angles and such... no way!). Her brother helps her as much as he can.. but it's the grasping of these simple concepts that I would like her to obtain.

Problem is, where do I go? Do I go someplace expensive like the Sylvan institute? Or hire a honor-roll high school student? It's not like I really have a whole lot of money to throw at this, especially with also wanting to get them into various extra-ciricular activities, like karate and dancing, singing, scouts (both of them), etc.

I've taken advantage of thier love of the computer by checking out numerous games that are suppose to help sharpen thier skills with various subjects. Right now I have one that teaches spelling concepts, including silent letters, plurals, etc etc. So far it seems to be going ok, as far as thier interest in it, but we'll see how long the interest lasts, or if the ciriculum sticks in thier brains.

Anywho.. that is what was on my brain for the time being. Guess I'll have to do a bit of research on where to go with it.. but I do know it's time to do something about it, before it gets too frusterating for them.

0 comments:

Blog Archive