~A Bitter Swallow~

I think I thought-vomited in my brain a little bit...

Thought-Vomit

My brain is constantly mumbling and muttering to itself. Sometimes it screams. Sometimes what it has to say is interesting enough to make note of, or is adamant enough that it must come out. I'll put that stuff here. :)
Thursday, January 22, 2009

Words and Definitions

I subscribe to a couple different "word a day" feeds. Each day, I get a new word advertised on my iGoogle homepage, and another one emailed to me. Two different places each giving me a different word to remember in an attempt to broaden my weakened vocabulary.

The problem I am having is what to do with this plethora of new words I am obtaining. And many of them are in fact new to me. How do I retain these words and their meaning into my brain to pluck out and utilize in some fantastic way? Do I write daily definitions ten times over? Do I work them somehow into my "daily writing"? That is what my original thought was, but many of them are words that I do not really have a topic that fits. And trying to create a topic out of some of them is enough to bang my head against the wall and scream obscene amounts of profanity. Not conducive to my word flow.... well, at least not anything I would want to post publicly!


So now my idea is that I will get index cards. With the same procedure I did while memorizing all those drug names, etc, I shall put the word on one side, and the definition on the other, and test my knowledge regularly! Then, I will try my darnedest to incorporate those words into my daily writings or talkings as much as possible... so much that people get sick of my "big talk"!

Ok, so since I am at work (apparently inspiration strikes me here too!)I should probably stop doing this and do something I am suppose to be doing. :)

0 comments:

Blog Archive