~A Bitter Swallow~

I think I thought-vomited in my brain a little bit...

Thought-Vomit

My brain is constantly mumbling and muttering to itself. Sometimes it screams. Sometimes what it has to say is interesting enough to make note of, or is adamant enough that it must come out. I'll put that stuff here. :)
Monday, March 17, 2008

5 Eight-Year Old Girls....

So this past Saturday we had the kids' birthday party. We took them to the new skating rink here in town, and let them invite some friends. My daughter had four of her friends there. They had a great time at the skating rink, with lots of pizza, soda, video games, cake, presents, and of course- skating. My kids both went out and did the hokey-pokey and the limbo on the rink. It was great. I tried to go out and skate. I wound up hugging the wall the entire time, and even jammed my finger and elbow while out there. I am not thinking I'll be going back out on the rink anytime soon.

But I digess...

Anyways. My daughter remembered my offer that day to have all her girlfriends spend the night at my house that night. Don't ask me what I was thinking, because I clearly wasn't. So she hits me up to let them stay, she runs it by her dad (since it's his weekend with the kids, and it would be at my house), and he okays it, so I end up with five eightish-year old girls all spending the night at my little duplex. Oh.. my...

They played alright at first. Then they fought. Then they cried. Then they fought. Then they played. Rinse- repeat. All night. And then again all morning. Holy moley! I thought I was going to have a breakdown!

But of course, the next morning while going home, they stated that they all had a fantastic time! So I guess overall it was a success. And everyone is alive, albeit probably a few less sane brain cells. Twister wound up being a great hit. I didn't even know we had that game!

I came to work yesterday, and began searching for books on activities for girls during slumber parties. I am sure I must have been flubbing my search somehow, because there were suprisingly very few. I did find one here at my branch though, and I checked it out. I paged through it last night, and it seemed to have some pretty cute ideas. It is my vision to run it past my daughter, and perhaps even my son, since most were rather unisex activities (and my daughters friends all seem to have crushes on her brother, and like to encorperate him into thier play). Then, with thier imput, and my realism, type up the ones we like into my laptop and save them for the next sleepover.

We'll see how that works out! All I know is that the next time I mention having that many girls over for the night, that I am to be immediately taken to the nearest psychiatric institution, no questions asked! LOL

2 comments:

Kim Doyle said...

Books that are on the shelf at the moment--

Slumber parties : what do I do? / Ripple, Wilhelminia--SW, BI, PL

Super slumber parties / Whitney, Brooks--SW, BI, SI

Plus one it looks like you have on hold.

And then if you put in search terms like "child$" and "parties" you get a bunch more (also all on the shelf at the moment).

Perfect kids' parties : 12 fantastic theme celebrations--SW, PL, PT, SI

Lithgow party paloozas! : 52 unexpected ways to make a birthday, holiday, or any day a celebration for kids--BI, SI

The parents party book : fun and fabulous theme birthday parties for children 2 to 8 years old--SW, LB, PT

Party secrets : who to invite, must-dance music, most-loved munchies, & foolproof fun!--SW, KI, DB

The girlfriends' guide to parties and playdates : conquer the chaos- and have some fun while you're at it!--BI, PT

The birthday book : creative ways to celebrate your child's special day--SW, BI, LB, SI, BK

The ultimate birthday party book : 50 complete and creative themes to make your kid's special day funtastic!--SW, BI, PT

Diane Warner's complete book of children's parties : make birthdays and every other children's party a fun occasion--PL, MA

The best birthday parties ever! : a kid's do-it-yourself guide--SW, BI, PT, KI

Thaydra said...

wow...that's GREAT!! Thank you!!

Blog Archive