~A Bitter Swallow~

I think I thought-vomited in my brain a little bit...

Thought-Vomit

My brain is constantly mumbling and muttering to itself. Sometimes it screams. Sometimes what it has to say is interesting enough to make note of, or is adamant enough that it must come out. I'll put that stuff here. :)
Friday, March 7, 2008

People come and go

Most of the patrons I deal with at the library come and go quickly and easily. They show up to my counter either grumpy, or polite, or even cheery, but for the most part, they get here, we do our business, and they are on their way.

But every once in a while, you find one that sticks out. Either patrons who do strange or bewildering things while here, such as discuss very personal information loudly on thier cell phones. There are also those who make you do a double take, like the woman who had her library card in her mouth before she handed it to me. Sometimes it's the way the books are returned. People who dump water all over them, and then wonder why they are charged. A co-worker was telling me of a patron who actually broke an egg she found while walking around on one of her library books, and then was all confused as to why we could not accept it back, since it was technically still "readable"...

However, today was probably my most memorable experience with a patron thus far. An elderly gentleman came in and began carrying on a conversation with me. Apparantly he's one known for being a talker, so eventually my boss came over with a project for me, and he was ushered on his way. Well, he came back in a little bit later, and started talking to me again. He was explaining how he was across the way at the bar, and some of the men there were telling him he sounded like some singer. He had asked them who, and then he started belting out the "You are so Beautiful" song. Now, it took me a moment, since I had thought he was just expounding on who they were saying, and trying to show off, but as he continued going, I realized he was singing to me, and I must have turned three shades brighter than the pink of my shirt! I think I was more embarassed that it took me so long to realize he was serenading me, then the fact that he was.

He later came back in and apologized for any embarassement he caused me. I told him not to worry. It's been awhile since I've had that (with the exception of my boyfriend. He sings to me all the time. I love it!). It was sweet. And being that he was a very much older man, I am not concerned about it =)

Something nice to spend the day with. Thank you!

0 comments:

Blog Archive