~A Bitter Swallow~

I think I thought-vomited in my brain a little bit...

Thought-Vomit

My brain is constantly mumbling and muttering to itself. Sometimes it screams. Sometimes what it has to say is interesting enough to make note of, or is adamant enough that it must come out. I'll put that stuff here. :)
Monday, February 9, 2009

We Lost Our Puppy =-(

Last week our dogs got out of the yard. That is really nothing new, as the puppy digs escape holes from under the fence, and the older dog can jump the fence. Since the neighbor dogs are always out running loose, while the dogs escaping bothers me, it does not necessarily worry me.

Well, this last time, Muttley, the older one, came home when called. The puppy, Bear, did not. This was peculiar, and worrisome. So Dustin got Muttley on his leash, and went walking the neighborhood looking for the pup, knocking door to door. He got a couple sightings, but did not find him.

The irritating part is the lady at the end of the drive who said that she played with the pup, and fed him, while Muttley, she says, was prancing and jumping around, as if trying to round the pup up and take him home. So, instead of letting Muttley bring him home, she gave him a bunch of attention, and Muttley finally came home without him.

We searched for him daily. Dustin had talked to the neighbors, so everyone knew where he belonged if they found him. We live in a heavily treed area, and it's rather rural, so we figured he must be holed up at some one's house. He had been out of the yard plenty of times to know his way back. We took daily trips up the drive, looking and calling for him.

Then yesterday, I was browsing Craigslist and saw a picture of him at the pound. Turns out, there is a road not far behind the lady who fed him. But it is one we did not realize was there, as you have to get to it from the other side of town. As it is, apparently after hanging out with the lady who fed him, he went to the house behind hers, and the owners there, who Dustin did not talk to since we were unaware that neighborhood was so close to ours, took him in, and then took him to the pound on Friday. We got ahold of them today to let them know he was ours, and were told that since he has been "listed" that it will cost us at least $120 to get him back. We just don't have that kind of money. It is disappointing, to say the least. While I was not a fan of his constant peeing in the house, it did seem like he was making progress and might come around. That, and Muttley and our cat, Booska, wander around looking for him still.

I am happy to know that he is sheltered and not wandering the area hurt somewhere (we have black bears out here, which was my main concern). I am glad that I no longer have to worry about one of the kids seeing him dead on the side of the road somewhere. But I hate knowing where he is and knowing there is nothing we can do. I was thinking of rehoming him, but didn't want it to go like this.

I hope that whomever decides to adopt him will give him a great life. I hope they have the time and patience to devote to him and his training. I hope that he loves where he winds up, and that they give him all the love and attention he deserves.


Have a good life, Bear Pup.

0 comments:

Blog Archive